1. What is your understanding of microaggressions?
2. When was the last time you had to think about your ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity, ability level, religion, and/or sexual orientation? What provoked you to think about it or acknowledge it? How did you react to the situation?
3. Have you witnessed someone or experienced being ignored, overlooked, or treated differently due to status in a minority group?
4. What are biases you have recognized within yourself?
5. When someone corrects you for a microaggression, how should you apologize and ensure that you do better in the future?
6. Do you have a responsibility to speak up, defend others, and educate? How do you currently try? How could you improve your efforts?
(Retreat held December 11, 2020)
Winter 2020 Retreat Schedule:
Part 1: Identifying Microaggressions
9:00 AM-10:00 AM Welcome and Self-assessment Discussion
10:00 AM-10:45 AM "Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man" Episode 1 and Discussion
10:45 AM-11:30 AM "Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man" Episode 2 and Discussion
11:30 AM- 12:30 PM Conversation with Leslie
12:30 PM-1:30 PM Lunch Break
Part 2: Becoming an Ally
1:30 PM-1:45PM Check-in
1:45 PM-2:30 PM Eliminating Microaggressions: The Next Level of Inclusion and Discussion
2:30 PM-3:15 PM Practice and Brainstorming Techniques
3:15 PM-4:00 PM Post-Assessment and Reflection