Use any sans serif or serif font accessible to all users. Options include:
- 11-point Calibri
- 11-point Arial
- 12-point Times New Roman
- 11-point Georgia
Use the same font throughout your paper.
- Within a figure image, use a sans serif font (e.g., Arial or Calibri) with a type size between 8 and 14 points.
- When presenting a footnote in a page footer, use the default footnote settings (e.g., 10-point font with single line spacing)
Paragraph Alignment & Indentation
- Indent the first line of every paragraph 0.5 in (use Tab function)
- Leave the remaining lines of the paragraph left-aligned
- Left-align and do not indent the first line of the abstract; Level 2 and 3 headings; and table and figure numbers, titles, and notes.
- Apply a hanging indent of 0.5 in. to reference list entries using the paragraph-formatting feature of your word-processing program.
- Indent block quotations 0.5 in. from the left margin. For longer block quotations, indent subsequent paragraphs an additional 0.5 in.